32-2842. Mammographic images, Physicians requirements
A. A physician licensed under chapter 13 or 17 of this title who reads or interprets mammographic images after January 1, 1994 shall meet the following requirements:
1. Have completed forty hours of medical education credits in mammography.
2. Is either certified by the American board of radiology in diagnostic radiology or the American osteopathic board of radiology in diagnostic radiology, as applicable, or is approved by the Arizona medical board or the Arizona board of osteopathic examiners in medicine and surgery, as applicable, as qualified to read and interpret mammographic images.
3. Has done either of the following:
(a) If the requirements are met by January 1, 1994, in the two year period before January 1, 1994, have interpreted or reviewed an average of three hundred mammograms a year or if the requirements are met after January 1, 1994, have interpreted or reviewed an average of three hundred mammograms in the two years immediately preceding qualification under the supervision of a physician qualified to read or interpret mammograms.
(b) Completed a radiology residency within the three years immediately preceding qualification.
B. A physician who meets the requirements of subsection A shall satisfy the continuing medical education requirements as follows:
1. The physician shall complete fifteen hours of continuing medical education credits in mammography every three years.
2. The physician shall interpret or review an average of three hundred mammograms a year over each two-year period.
C. The Arizona medical board and the Arizona board of osteopathic examiners in medicine and surgery shall establish minimum criteria to authorize doctors licensed under the respective boards to read or interpret mammographic images. The requirements shall be in lieu of certification by either the American board of radiology in diagnostic radiology or the American osteopathic board of radiology in diagnostic radiology. Nothing in the criteria established by the respective boards relieves a physician from the requirements of subsection A, paragraphs 1 and 3 or subsection B. The respective boards shall require and maintain documentation showing that the physician has completed the educational and experience requirements.
D. A physician who reads or interprets mammograms shall maintain records to establish compliance with subsection B, paragraph 2 and shall maintain records of outcome data that correlate positive mammograms to biopsies.